the shakespeare stealer
Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
- How is Widge’s adoption different from what he had expected?
- What does Widge discover about the sermons he copies for Dr. Bright at neighboring parishes?
- How does Widge feel more fortunate than his fellow orphans?
- Why doesn’t Widge confront the stable boy when he suspects his wallet has been stolen by him?
- How is Widge surprised when he meets his new master, Simon Bass?
- Why is Widge incredulous when he discovers London has a curfew?
- What does Widge need to change in order to appear more like a Londoner?
- How does Widge pass the time while waiting for Hamlet to be performed?
- Why does the house Widge sees on the way to the theater have a cross nailed to the door?
- How does Falconer respond when Widge thanks him for saving his life when he fell into the river?
- What is written beneath the feet of Atlas outside of the Globe Theater?
- What is Widge’s most pressing problem while attempting to copy the play?
- Why were women forbidden to act on stage?
- What became more important to Widge than his “petty mission”?
- When Widge comes out of the playhouse and considers running away, why does he hesitate?
- Who does Falconer knock off of the footbridge and into the drainage ditch?
- What are Widge’s favorite parts of the play?
- Why do Falconer and Widge lose their lodgings?
- How does Widge escape from the playhouse?
- How is the fire at the theater extinguished?
- How is Widge recognized when he returns to the theater to look for his book?
- What does Widge say is the reason he has come to London?
- Who was opposed to Widge joining the company?
- Why doesn’t Sander mind sharing a room with Widge?
- What had Mr. Shakespeare apprenticed as?
- What is Mr. Shakespeare’s role in the play?
- What does “widge” mean where Nick comes from?
- What does Mr. Shakespeare tell Sander to instruct Widge in?
- Why is Widge irritated at having to help Sander pin his sleeve on?
- Why are sleeves not sewn onto the costumes?
- Why does Sander think Nick is in no shape to be part of the play?
- Why does Jack take the play book away from Widge?
- What does Mr. Heminges suggest to Mr. Shakespeare as he is leaving the tiring-room to go on stage?
- Why does Chris Beeston think Will Kempe left the company?
- How is Widge’s training at the theatre company different from the training he received from Dr. Bright?
- While resting from their battle scene training, what do Widge and Julian find they have in common?
- What happens to Widge when it is time for him to go on stage?
- Why does Mr. Heminges want to see Widge in the property room?
- How had the company got on Her Majesty’s bad side?
- How is Julian’s true identity discovered?
- Why is Nick so upset when it is revealed that Julian is a girl?
- What provokes Nick to fight the student in the tavern?
- Why do the two students run away after the sword fight?
- Why don’t the authorities take Nick to prison after the sword fight?
- Why is the part of Ophelia offered to Widge after Julia is discovered?
- What is Widge shocked by when he arrives at Whitehall to perform for the queen?
- How does Widge manage to survive on stage in spite of his fear while performing for the queen?
- How is Widge transformed through playing the part of Ophelia?
- What does Widge discover Nick doing at the Globe?
- How does Nick escape being caught by Widge and Mr. Armin?
- Why doesn’t the beggar by the side of the road want to be seen with Widge and Mr. Armin?
- What is Widge’s fear during the duel between Mr. Armin and Falconer?
- How do Simon Bass and Mr. Armin know each other?
- Why does Julia decide to go to France?