Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
- Why doesn’t Miss Bick ever take the children to the lake?
- What is the library’s summer checkout policy?
- What two things do the children hate “above all”?
- What rule had Jane and Mark made that was changed this summer?
- According to the children, what is the best way to pretend?
- What does Jane first accidentally wish?
- Why does it take the children a long time to run the eight blocks to the fire?
- What picture does Aunt Grace first show Alison?
- What had Katharine predicted that Aunt Grace would say to Alison?
- What does Alison think is sinister about the face of the man that stops to offer her a ride?
- According to the man that gives Alison a ride, what is the trouble with life?
- What is Jane waiting up to ask her mother?
- When Jane realizes she has a “magic thing,” what kind of summer does she think it will be?
- What is Carrie the cat’s main purpose?
- What does Martha first feel a wish for?
- What does Mark sometimes get tired of in the family?
- What does Jane realize about the nickel she has found?
- Why do the girls decide to head south on Maplewood Avenue to search for Mark?
- What is Mark’s first wish?
- When the children have to leave the lost charm behind and go with Achmed, what do they use to mark the spot?
- Where does Mark end up finding the magic charm?
- After retuning home, why is Katharine allowed to have the first wish?
- Who does Sir Launcelot think the children are?
- When Katharine challenges Sir Launcelot in the tournament, what does she forget to wish for?
- What warning does Merlin give the children about the magic charm?
- After returning home, how do the children know that they have not been dreaming?
- After returning from their medieval adventure, why don’t the children make their next
wish right away?
- What type of story do the children want to hear at bedtime?
- What two things does Jane want most in the world?
- Why do the children hate Charlie Chaplin?
- What does Jane stumble upon when she enters the jeweler’s shop?
- Who does Martha meet in the bookstore?
- Based on his beard, what does Martha think the small gentleman is?
- Why is Jane upset about Mr. Smith?
- What do the three children, Mark, Katharine, and Martha, think they should do before making
- What does Jane wish?
- Why do the other three children decide to tell Mr. Smith about what has happened to Jane?
- What is the main color, inside and out, of the house that Jane goes into?
- After the children return home with Mr. Smith, why can’t their mother stay upset for very long?
- What does Katharine think ought to be done with the charm?
- According to Katharine, what is it about box lunches that makes them sound so delicious?
- Why does Martha think her mother couldn’t be crying?
- What announcement does Mr. Smith make to the children (with their help)?
- Why does Mother tell Mr. Smith that she cannot marry him?
- How does Jane plan to help her mother?
- What reason does Katharine give for the children not revealing the charm to their mother?
- What does Mark remember being the heart’s desire of his mother?
- What does Katharine say is the heart’s desire of her mother?
- What does Martha think was the trouble with the wishes they made for their mother?
- What is Mr. Smith’s suggestion for what ought to be done?
- What is Jane’s final wish?
- What finally happens to the charm?