Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
- How was Nick able to stowaway on Endeavour?
- Why has Nick run away from home?
- Why does Nick have to hide until the ship sails past Spain?
- What is the job of Mr. Banks onboard Endeavour?
- What mission was assigned Endeavour by the Lord High Admiral?
- How had Nick learned about “doctoring”?
- How had Nick’s doctoring skills been useful in the past?
- What is an “A.B.”?
- Why does Mr. Bootie resent Nick?
- What does Mr. Bootie have in common with the Butcher?
- Why won’t Nick eat shark?
- What caused Isaac Smith to begin treating Nick like a “mate”?
- Why had Nick been apprenticed to the Butcher by his father?
- How did being ducked in the ocean after crossing the Equinoctial Line help Nick’s
reputation among the crew?
- While approaching South America, Nick is desperate to see land, why is he also fearful?
- Why is the crew of Endeavour not allowed to disembark in Brasil?
- When John Thurman is whipped for refusing his work, why does Nick force himself to watch?
- Why does John Ramsay say sailors never learn to swim?
- What is Cape Fly Away?
- After reaching King George’s Land, how does Captain Cook change Nick’s status aboard Endeavour?
- Why does Mr. Monkhouse kill a native on King George’s Land?
- Why has Endeavour come to King George’s Land?
- What does Nick realize about the value of learning another tongue?
- What single instrument did the success of Endeavour’s entire journey depend on?
- How does Nick explain the native’s thievery?
- Why is Captain Cook disappointed over the readings he takes of Venus?
- Why is Nick whipped?
- How old is Nick in June 1769?
- How are the Huahine (Society Island) natives different from those of O’Tahiti (King George’s Land)?
- What does Captain Cook leave with the chief of Huahine as proof that they were the first
Europeans to come ashore there?
- What does Nick miss from home?
- Why does Nick hope he spies land before Mr. Bootie?
- How do the natives on New Continent often react to danger?
- What do the native’s of New Continent seem to value most in trade from the Europeans?
- What stirs Nick to a hunger for books in a way he has never experienced before?
- Why does Nick say he doesn’t care if he never goes ashore on New Continent?
- How do Nick and John Charlton see Tarheto differently?
- According to Mr. Banks, what makes the best sauce?
- Why must the Captain punish his own men for stealing from the natives?
- Why were Tarheto and Nick afraid to explore New Zealand apart from the others?
- Why do the natives of New Zealand bring their women and children to war?
- How has Samuel Evans’s reading and writing progressed?
- What often causes Nick’ thoughts to be filled with the past instead of the happiness he feels
- Which course do the Captain and officers decide to take home?
- Upon leaving New Zealand, what supplies is Endeavour low on?
- What hope, or dream, kept Nick alive while he apprenticed at the Butchers?
- What happens to Nick when Mr. Bootie catches him teaching Samuel Evans to read?
- What does Isaac Smith say to Nick that causes him to say, “So there, Reverend Smythe!”?
- What sign does Nick have that Mr. Bootie’s opinion of him might be changing?
- After freeing Endeavour from the coral, how is it kept from sinking before they reach land?
- What does Nick think the fires on land might be for besides cooking and warmth?
- What do you think the large, mouse colored, very fast animal is that was spotted by some of
the men? (hint: New Holland is Australia)
- While Endeavour is being prepared to float after repairs, what happens that causes Mr. Banks
to be greatly distressed?
- What has Nick learned about judging people by observing the Captain?
- What does Nick mean when he says, “It’s a wonder what the stomach will allow the mind to accept”?
- How long has Endeavour been at sea?
- How is Endeavour nearly destroyed?
- How is Endeavour saved from sinking?
- How is Mr. Bootie’s attitude toward Nick changing?
- Why would Captain not publish an inaccurate chart?
- Why won’t Captain stop for provisions at the Dutch settlement of Concordia?
- What news from home did Captain learn from the Dutch ships off the coast of Java?
- What does Mr. Perry say has kept disease from taking hold of him like everyone else?
- What does Nick say he would gladly trade an entire week of roast pork for?
- What does Samuel Evans hope to come home as?
- Nick chose this voyage to escape his fears and failings. What does he now choose?
- What gift does Endeavour receive from the other English ship anchored off of Table Bay?
- What are the British at the Cape thinking of when they say Endeavour’s voyage was heroic?
- What did Nick want when he boarded Endeavour at the beginning of the voyage?
- What does Mr. Banks tell Nick to do after he has paid his debt back in England?
- How do Isaac Manley and Thomas Jones think differently regarding Nick’s skills and abilities
than did Mr. Bootie?
- What does Nick practice as Endeavour gets closer to England?
- How old is Nick at the end of the voyage?