the best christmas pageant ever
Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
- How does the narrator describe the Herdman kids?
- Why was burning down the tool house a “blessing in disguise”?
- Why did Miss Brandel pass Claude to the 2nd grade even though he didn’t even know his
colors or the ABC’s?
- Why do the Herdman children have to look after themselves?
- How does Mother get stuck directing the Christmas Pageant?
- What does the narrator’s brother, Charlie, say he likes best about Sunday School?
- What does Charlie tell Leroy that makes the Herdman children want to come to church?
- What kind of girl does Mrs. Armstrong say should play Mary?
- Who volunteers to be Mary in The Christmas Pageant?
- Why does Alice think Imogene should be put out of the pageant?
- What does Reverend Hopkins say to all the people who are complaining?
- What is the lie that Mother tells in church?
- What is the only thing the Herdmans know about Christmas?
- Name one thing about the Christmas story that upsets the Herdman children?
- When Mother finishes telling Father about the rehearsal, what does she say about the Herdman children?
- What do the Herdmans do to find out what happened to Herod?
- When Imogene grabs the narrator at recess, what does she want to know?
- Why do the Herdman children want Herod to be a character in the Christmas pageant?
- What does Alice tell Imogene that the angel says to Mary about her baby’s name?
- What causes Mrs. Homer McCarthy to call the fire department?
- What turns out to be the “one great big sinful thing” Alice tells her mom about?
- What does Mother say she might do when the pageant is over?
- What does the Narrator’s father say the song Away in a Manger always starts out sounding like?
- What did Ralph and Imogene look like when they walked through the door to the stage?
- Gladys is the only one in the pageant who has a speaking part. What does she say?
- What gift do the Wise Men (Leroy, Claude, and Ollie) bring to the baby Jesus?
- Why doesn’t the narrator want the pageant to end?
- What does Imogene do that is “absolutely unexpected” at the end of the play?