the matchlock gun
Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
- What was Trudy famous for?
- Why did Trudy need to start spinning at an early age?
- What does the phrase "Doesn't that beat the Dutch" mean?
- What does Edward want his father to take to the muster?
- How old were Edward's mother and father when they got married?
- What does Teunis stop and do with Edward before he leaves the house?
- Where are Teunis and Van Aerman going?
- Where do Edward and Trudy sleep?
- After being put to bed, what comforting sound does Edward miss?
- Why dosen't Gertrude want Edward to take butter to Grandmother Van Alstyne's house?
- What message does John Mynderse bring?
- What helps Edward to not be afraid in the house?
- When Gertrude and the children go for a walk, what do they see off in the distance?
- How does Edward know that his mother is afraid?
- Why does Gertrude decide that it will be best to stay at their own house and not go
to their grandmother's?
- What does Gertrude load into the gun?
- What does Edward's mother do since he can not hold up the gun?
- What is Edward to do if he hears his mother call "ATEOORD"?
- What is Gertrude doing outside as she watches for Indians?
- What does Gertrude do to help Edward not feel deserted?
- What happens to the grandmother's house?
- Why does Gertrude wait to act when she first sees the Indians?
- What does Gertrude fear would happen if she does not get to the house before the Indians?
- While Gertrude is running to the house, why is she shouting out the names of people who
were not there?
- What strikes Gertrude's shoulder?
- What happens when Edward fires the gun?
- What does Trudy save from being burned in the house?
- When the militiamen return, what do they find?