Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
Section 1: Chapters 1, 2
- Why does Pete open the doors to the storm cellar?
- Why is mother worried?
- What does mother keep in the storm cellar?
- Why does Pete shiver when his mother looks up from the stove and takes a breath?
- What do folks call the part of the country where Pete's family lives?
- What is beside the well after the tornado hits?
- Why is the doghouse trembling?
Section 2: Chapters 3, 4
- Why are Sammy and Pete not supposed to play war?
- Why does Pete think Tornado wants to play cards?
- Why doesn't the card want to go back into the deck?
- Why is Pete's sister, Emma Lou, carrying on?
- Where does Peter find the turtle?
- What does Tornado do after the turtle is found?
- Why does Pete think Tornado is a good dog?
Section 3: Chapters 5, 6
- Why does Pete suggest one more quick story about Tornado be told?
- How did Five-Thirty get its name?
- Why does Tornado dig holes?
- What happens when Five-Thirty finally leaves the hole?
- What happens on the saddest day of Pete's life?
- Why does Pete's father fall silent on the drive home?
- What happens when Pete tries to get one last look at Tornado?
Section 4: Chapter 7
- What does Pete's mother remind him about Tornado?
- What was the thumping noise that Pete heard on Friday in the barn?
- Why does Pete have to wipe his eyes?
- What did Pete do when he discovered the source of the noise?
- Why did Pete's father say they could not take Tornado back?
- Who comes to the cellar doors to tell them that the storm is over?
- What story did Pete promise to tell during the next storm?