Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
Section 1: Chapters 1–6
- How do Rose and Phebe meet?
- How does Rose feel about horses, boats, and boys?
- What nearly took Rose’s breath away as she skipped boldly into the parlor?
- Where do the boys take Rose and what do they show her?
- What do the boys request for teatime?
- Describe the person Rose sees when she leans over her little balcony?
- How does Uncle Alec change Rose’s medication?
- What does Uncle Alec make Rose eat for breakfast and how does she feel about this?
- What added tender charm to Aunt Peace’s life in Rose’s opinion?
- What do the Aunts discuss while Rose is talking with Aunt Peace?
- What does Uncle Alec make Rose do after milking in the morning?
- What does Rose plan to do with Phebe?
- When Uncle Alec returns from abroad, what does he propose to do after dinner?
- Describe the surprise that Phebe and Uncle Alec have been working on for Rose?
Section 2: Chapters 7-12
- What were the “last” and “latest” remedies Uncle Alec had for Rose?
- Who does Rose meet in “China” that she considers delightful?
- While Rose and Uncle Alec are rowing home, who do they see and how does this affect
- What is Uncle Alec looking over when Rose returns and why is he disappointed?
- What does Uncle Alec say about the state of Rose’s finances? What is her reply?
- What is Aunt Jane’s reaction to seeing Rose awake when she is leaving?
- Where does Uncle Alec invite Rose to go in the little boat?
- What do Rose and Uncle Alec discover on their island, was it a good discovery or a bad one?
- What do the children play at after consuming the chowder?
- What is Rose’s sacrifice?
- Where does Uncle Mac take Rose and what do they see?
- What happens to Mac after the escapades on the island?
- How does Mac respond to the fact that he may become blind?
- How does Rose say that Steve, Charlie, and Archie can help Mac?
Section 3: Chapters 13-18
- What remedy does Uncle Alec prescribe for Mac’s boredom and Rose’s caginess?
- Who is mother Atkinson and why does everyone love her?
- What is the “Cozy Corner Light Infantry”?
- Who is the busiest of all the guests at Portland and why?
- How does Rose exemplify the phrase, “Pride goeth before the fall”?
- What is the final gift Rose receives from Uncle Alec?
- How does Mac entertain Rose while she is bedridden from her sprained ankle?
- How does Annabel Bliss bring Rose down from her high horse?
- Why do the cousins gather round the fireplace?
- What task does Uncle Alec convince Rose to take up?
- What do Aunt Plenty and Aunt Peace teach Rose?
- What bargain do Charlie and Rose make?
- What does Aunt Jesse force Will and Geordie to give up?
- Describe the difference between the outfit the Aunts force Rose to try on and the one
Uncle Alec buys her.
Section 4: Chapters 19-24
- What is Rose learning when Aunt Myra walks into the library and why is Myra shocked?
- What insights does Mac discover about parents?
- What does Rose make Phebe promise to do on Christmas morning?
- What are the first presents Rose receives and what does she think about them?
- What do the boys teach Rose to do before dinner and how do the Aunts react to this?
- How does Fun See change his appearance?
- Who does Charlie dare Rose to kiss under the mistletoe and how does she use the dare
to her advantage?
- What happens to Rose when Mac forgets their skating date?
- What does Rose decide to teach Phebe?
- What is Uncle Alec’s reaction to this plan?
- Why are Archie and Charlie fighting and what does Steve ask Rose for?
- How does Rose confront Charlie and how does he respond?
- What discovery does Rose make about girls?
- Who does Rose choose to live out her days with and why?