donavan's word jar
Page numbers are approximate and may vary between book editions.
Section 1: Chapters 1–3
- What does Donavan collect?
- What inspired Donavan to begin his collection?
- On the way to school, what does Donavan discover?
- Why does Donavan like the word “hush”?
- What is Donavan’s favorite way of collecting?
- What is Donavan’s dilemma?
- What does Mrs. Panky suggest Donavan do with his collection?
Section 2: Chapters 4, 5
- What does Donavan see when he looks out of his window?
- Who does Donavan want to visit?
- Why does Donavan want to stay at home?
- What important errand does Mom need to do?
- What is Nikki doing when Donavan opens the door to her room?
- Why does Nikki want to look at Donavan’s word collection?
- What kind of words does Nikki want?
Section 3: Chapters 6, 7
- Why does Donavan tiptoe across the room when he hears his dad’s footsteps in the hall?
- What does Donavan ask dad in the kitchen?
- Why does Donavan tuck the word jar under his arm?
- What did Grandma decide after Grandpa died?
- Why can Donavan visit his grandmother anytime he wants?
- What does Grandma collect?
- Why is Grandma’s picture wall Donavan’s favorite place?
Section 4: Chapters 8–10
- What does grandma suggest Donavan do with his collection?
- Why does Grandma think that the word “persnickety” fits perfectly with Miz Marylou?
- Why is Donavan disappointed at the end of his visit with Grandma?
- How does Donavan stop Miz Marylou and Mr. Bill Gut from arguing?
- Why does Donavan return to Grandma’s apartment?
- Why is Donavan excited about Grandma’s neighbors taking his words?
- What does Grandma have in the brown bag?